Subject: Re: UVM, pmap_next_page
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/19/1998 22:14:00
hi gordon-

   i'm not sure i fully understand why you object to passing
the memory into the VM as two segments.  that would have been
how i suggested you do it [like i did the i386].   you say:

>I would rather not represent the video ram as a "hole" (with two
>physical RAM segments) because it really is memory (not a hole)
>and calling it a hole makes the physical memory size wrong, etc.

i agree that it really is memory, but is it memory that is available
for general use by the VM system?  this is what MNN is concerned with.

can you explain what you mean by "makes the physical memory size wrong"?
wrong in what way?

chuck