Subject: Re: mi PC keyboard / PS/2 mouse driver
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/19/1998 14:56:01
> -Use an mi driver for the ISA keyboard controller, PC
>   keyboard and "pms" mouse, put it to sys/dev/isa. The
>   drivers provide a very generic interface which allows
>   to use them with the existing PC hardware console drivers.
>   i.e., they simply deliver raw data without any mapping
>   functions nor tty/cdevsw interface.
> -Rip out the keyboard hardware access stuff from the port
>   specific pccons, pcvt, pckbd and pms drivers and use the
>   access functions of the mi driver instead.

While I think this would be _nice_, i don't think it's particularly
trivial.  I therefore don't think it's particularly worth the effort.
Maybe if you can do that on the i386, and demonstrate that it really
isn't too hard to glue the new keyboard code into an existing pccons
driver it'd be worth looking into, but it's silly and annoying to have
to do a bunch of the same work 2x (or once, if something else --
e.g. updating to the new console code -- is going to 'automatically'
do it for you later).

Unless it's easy to glue the new keyboard driver in (and the new
keyboard driver really does work on all the archs that use pccons-ish
keyboards now), I don't think it's worth it at this point.

cgd