Subject: Re: Detaching devices
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/1998 10:54:08
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Our current config system works great for attaching devices, (through
> the probe and attach routines) but there is no support for detaching
> them, as far as I can tell.  Is there any work going on in this
> direction?
>
> The PCMCIA driver could use it since you can unplug cards from a
> running system.  I'm currently writing a device driver for USB and it
> has the same problem; devices are attached and detached from the bus
> while the system is running.  Being able to detach devices is rather
> important for me.  The driver I'm writing is going to go into a small
> embedded system where things will get plugged and unplugged a lot.

I've worked on changes to permit removing network interfaces. The changes
maintain reference counts on ifnets and ifaddrs. Unfortunatly I've not
been able to test them. Marc Horowitz has, but has run into a problem or
two. We're trying to sort it out. I think he's also taken a stab at
detaching devices, but I'm not sure.

Take care,

Bill

P.S. I haven't forgotten I promised the OPTi 931 sound card driver. It's
just the thing's contrary. :-)