Subject: Re: /dev/vga and /dev/mem XFree problems with UVM
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/1998 18:01:41
On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 02:27:27PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:19:17 -0500
>  Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com> wrote:
>
>  > I'm having some trouble using XFree with UVM.
>
> I know that Chuck has run XFree w/ UVM...

...With which graphics hardware?

> ...and to double-check, I just ran it on my ppro which is running UVM.

Same question.

>  > Fatal server error:
>  > xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xf9000000 outside allowable range
>
> ...this is typical "kernel secure level too high"...

No, it isn't.  I changed nothing about the machine or kernel configuration
except for building with options UVM.  The securelevel is -1.

Besides, did you notice in the first part of my message that with the XF86_S3
server, I was losing using /dev/vga?  That's actually a friend's machine, so
I haven't had a lot of time to hack at it.

>  >    284 XF86_SVGA RET   mmap -1 errno 22 Invalid argument
>  >    284 XF86_SVGA CALL  write(0x2,0xefbfd360,0x15)
>  >    284 XF86_SVGA GIO   fd 2 wrote 21 bytes
>
> ...but the EINVAL is interesting.

Yeah, it is.  But it's not because of the securelevel.

I still want to know why XFree is using 0xf9000000 as the third argument of
the open() it tries to do that mmap from, but that seems like an unrelated
bug.