Subject: Re: A new partition handling scheme: wedges
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/1998 07:33:03
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:10:16 -0600 (CST)  Ty Sarna wrote:

> I feel very strongly that you should no more be able to have two
> partitions named the same than you should be able to have two logins
> with the same name, two network interfaces with the same name, etc.
> I also put quite a lot of stock in the fact that the only implementation
> of named partitions I know of (RDB) wants unique names.

Login name conflicts are resolvable when merging /etc/passwd files.

Network interface names are assigned in the kernel configuration file.

I *must* be able to plug in a disk with a duplicate partition name.
(e.g. I have two machines; one CPU dies; I want to transfer all the
disks to a second machine to bring them back on line ASAP. I can't
rename the partitions first, can I?)

The hack with vendor's logical volume management solutions seems to be
to require a system ID to be included in the LVM information, and
disks/volume groups must be "imported" before being accessible which
provides the opportunity to resolve naming conflicts.

Not allowing at least the transitory existence of duplicate partition
names effectively requires an enterprise wide partition naming scheme
which is both unwieldy and unnecessary.

Regards,

Giles