Subject: Re: A new partition handling scheme: wedges
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/05/1998 19:57:22
> 0. I was surprised to see this thread die out so quickly.  I hope that
> doesn't indicate a lack of interest. I've been wanting something like
> this for _years_. Further, this particular proposal opens up a way to do
> named partitions reasonably (see below), which I see as being just as
> valuable as cross-platform partition map support, perhaps even more so.

The only thing I don't like in that proposal is the separate "wedge device".
I think it would be better to avoid passing every i/o through two strategy
routines and do it like with our current disklabels with actual procedures
(getwedgemap(),setwedgemap(),...) shared by all disk drivers.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,