Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1998 11:33:12

   We should probably be trying to emulate a particular version of the
   operating system, in which case we'd have a version number to report,
   even if not the one a particular app would like to see.

   It's unlikely that an application other than an LKM is going to do
   what you describe above - on Linux, at least, you pretty much have to
   test for features because there are so many random releases out there.
   If you try to match on a particular version number, you are pretty
   much guaranteed to lose.

"in my world, where linux doesn't exist" ... we have this exact problem
with vendor software, that will *only* run on a particular release of
the host OS.

i'm now not sure if i like the "setuname" vs. the "sysctl for each
emulation" ideas.  perhaps both can be used ....