Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1998 10:59:25

   This is silly.   The only reason we want to report NetBSD instead of
   Linux/Ultrix/whatever is for web browsers.   Since Netscrape will be
   coming out as "free" software shortly, why worry about it?

i disagree quite strongly with this.

we might be providing an environment to run other operating systems
binary's, but we are *not* that other operating system.  i'm yet to
see any argument except "breaking <random software>" (which i do
consider a valid argument, but not an encompassing one).  i like the
idea of providing the ability to change the utsname returned, per-host.

also, *what* version do you decide to return?  what if i have some
<random software> that expects "FooOS 3.4" but our emulation for FooOS
returns 3.5?