Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1998 16:46:39
On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: > Toss in a field for `hostid' (sparc/m68k platforms) and I'll bow before you.
: > (Changing the hostid per-process is something I've been meaning to write
: > code for.)  This is an idea I was hesitating to propose, but since you bit
: > the bullet,...

: you mean, sysctl hw.cpumodel (which doesn't exist yet)?

No, I meant *hostid*. (Perhaps I was wrong in thinking that SunOS/sun3 had
hostid's.)  On SPARC SunOS/Solaris, and on Solaris x86, there is a `hostid'
used to `uniquely' identify your computer, used in licensing software--which
is a pain in the butt if you license software and then upgrade your box.
Hence, hostid changing per-process is useful in an emulation environment, so
that you can `pretend' that you're the box that was actually decommissioned
in favor of the new-and-faster-cool-box-you-just-bought-used-for-cheap.
There's a tool to do this on SunOS and Solaris (with kernel mods), but not
for NetBSD.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price