Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1998 11:25:09
On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Robert.V.Baron wrote:

> If you are run the uname system call from a program that is emulating
> linux, for example, it should return "linux" -- not netbsd -- as the os.

Well, I can see reasons for both. I like the system call idea, where the
administrator can make decisions for each emulation.

> Perhaps we want a program, emul, that takes two args, a system to
> emulate and a command line:
> 	emul linux command args
> This would then look in /emul/linux along the "path" for command and run
> it.  (i.e. prefix /emul/linux to each component of $path and do a stat
> and then exec the program/shell it finds.)

We kinda do. It's the vendor's shell. :-) Any program running under
emulation will do this. Well, for each earch, it looks for /emul/OS/X then
/X (which is almost the same thing).

The solution for now will be just to make a "matlab" script which calls
the ULTRIX sh to fork the matlab script.

Take care,

Bill