Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1998 14:05:37
On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, David Seifert wrote:

: What if the utsname structure became a per-process structure,
: inherited across fork?  Then we add setuname() to change the
: various fields to whatever we want.
:
: Then we write a small wrapper program to set the desired uname info
: and run the real app.

Toss in a field for `hostid' (sparc/m68k platforms) and I'll bow before you.
(Changing the hostid per-process is something I've been meaning to write
code for.)  This is an idea I was hesitating to propose, but since you bit
the bullet,...

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price