Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1998 11:16:16
Jonathan Stone summarized:

> Robert V. Baron writes:
>
> >If you are run the uname system call from a program that is emulating
> >linux, for example, it should return "linux" -- not netbsd -- as the os.
>
> There are arguments both ways.

Just a suggestion:

Seeing that it sometimes breaks commercial applications, and sometimes we want
ourselves being advertized:

Why don't we make it a sysctl hierarchy:

kern.emul.uname.linux = 0 (for saying NetBSD under Linux emulation)
kern.emul.uname.ultrix = 1 (for saying Ultrix under Ultrix emulation)

and leave the decision to the system administrator?

The earlier-proposed "echo Linux" script in /emul/linux/usr/bin/uname
might not work for all purposes...

Regards,
	Ignatios