Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/1998 19:59:11
>Robert V. Baron writes:
>>If you are run the uname system call from a program that is emulating
>>linux, for example, it should return "linux" -- not netbsd -- as the os.

>There are arguments both ways.
>NetBSD emulating <<commercial Unix brand Z>> is not really
><<commerical Unix Z>>: the emulation is ususally not complete.  Also,
>Jason Thorpe, amongst others, has argued for returning "NetBSD", so
>that, e.g., Webserver statistics about client hosts reflect the
>existence and userbase of NetBSD.

Exactly.  If I'm running a Linux or BSDI version of Netscape, I don't
want to be advertising for Linux or BSDI, in the web statistics -- I
want those web statistics to say I came to that site running NetBSD.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.