Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/1998 09:40:11
On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Brian Buhrow wrote:

> 	Why not just put a case statement in the shell script which is
> executed which maps NetBSD to Linux?  Then all the same variables would get
> set, and you actually could do without the /emul directory altogether
> except for the neded compatibility devices and libraries.  My strategy is
> usually to put as little as possible in the emul directories and use the
> standard paths except when there is an actual conflict.  Why would that not
> work in this case?

I really don't want to edit the shell script. I'd like to leave the
distribution alone. Plus, matlab does this trick to support multiple
architectures. You should be able to export this directory and use it on
multiple machines, including multiple NetBSD-emulating-another-OS
machines.

I guess having a "matlab" script in NetBSD's /usr/local/bin which calls
the emulated one using the Linux or ULTRIX sh would work.

But I think it'd be really nice if this just worked right, out of the box.

I.E. set up NetBSD, populate /emul/Old_OS, mount the old usr on
/emul/OldOS/usr, and you're set. Oh well.

Take care,

Bill