Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/1998 15:57:41
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

: My suggestion here is "do it the way BSDI did'.

: Having 'dv_unit()' and 'dv_subunit()' in the kernel would be a good
: idea. Also a good idea might be to rename 'minor()' in the kernel to
: 'dv_minor()', so that no devices will ever try to use the old
: semantics of minor numbers again w/o being inspected.

I'll definitely take this into thought.  Hm, should userland be required to
use these too?  (Better yet, should userland not have access to the dev_t
macros?  Time to make a new version of `top'....)

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price