Subject: Re: dev_t changes & partitions
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/1998 06:27:01
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

: > Hmm. Well, I'd still vote we change the minor split when we change
: > dev_t's. That way we rebuild devices only once. :-)
:
: I'm compelled to point out that, with my proposal, none of the device
: numbers change at all until we decide to do an actual renumbering.

Well, I'm starting the first draft of renumbering now, and I have chosen one
particular path in the minor numbers of disks.  That can always change,
because as long as I am using 16 bit /dev nodes, only the kernel's internal
32 bit representation is affected.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price