Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 3
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/1998 13:49:16
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > There will be a 32->16 bit conversion of some sort to give `some reasonable
: > values' to userland for tty identification.
:
: Are you blind? Do I need to use all caps?

You left out the sentence where I said "this is only for vfs_syscalls_43.c".
Look at your /usr/include/sys/stat.h and tell me, please, what is used in
place of dev_t's in struct stat43....

        u_int16_t st_dev;               /* inode's device */
        u_int16_t st_rdev;              /* device type */

SunOS executables use the stat43.  So does a couple other emulations with
older binaries.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price