Subject: Re: dev_t changes & partitions
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/1998 08:47:18
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

:  > Amiga (inside RDB structure).  SPARC (SunOS label not big enough?).  Others?
:
: Um... no...
:
: On Amiga (and others that use similar self-describing partition map
: formats, like the Mac, I think), you can have arbitrary number of partitions
: each with arbitrary IDs.  NetBSD/amiga doens't put a disklabel inside
: an RDB partition, but rather uses the RDB partition map directly.

I know this.  The reason I mentioned it was... why couldn't it write a BSD
disklabel inside a RDB entry if the user so desired?  That's something I
wanted when I was running /amiga....

: For all port, we want to use NetBSD disklabels where possible, and fall
: back on "vendor" labels if NetBSD labels are not available.

And this is a good reason why on /amiga.

For now, I'll leave the unit goop alone, but it now has 16-bit compat.
`yay.'

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price