Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/1998 10:53:08
> Something like 192->207 are M.I. frame buffers (whatever the wscons stuff

If we had something like wscons, it would only need _one_ major.
Compare to the hp300/amiga/atari/mac grf, which (on the Amiga) describes
least 3 major groups (Amiga built-in custom chip (planar organized, and
mapped through the "view" abstraction), pixel-wise organized mapped
framebuffers, and the A2410 (a TMS34010 base board with no mapped framebuffer
memory at all).

Ok, its 2 major numbers; the other is the text console emulator running on
top of the first. I guess the wscons might need 2 majors, too.

Regards,
	-is