Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t first phase: Success!
To: None <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/1998 02:59:25
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:36:05 -0500 (EST)
>From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>

>I like the generator file approach (a la syscalls.master), but with a Perl
>generator.  Perl would allow the macros to be done away with, and instead,
>placed into the generator file in an easier initializer format.  This means
>a system without Perl could not generate the file, so the generated output
>would have to be committed to tree as well as the generator file and its
>script.  (This might be possible with awk, but it would likely be much more
>difficult.)

Perl is not a standard part of the system, and (if I have anything to
say about it, at least) will *never* be a standard part of the system.

You can use all of the devlist2h.awk scripts under src/sys as models
of how to write the necessary awk script.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel