Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 3
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/1998 13:37:53
Todd Vierling writes:
> 5. The old (pre-1.3 and some COMPAT_<os>) stat interfaces, if included by a
> COMPAT_[09-13] option, will do direct searchs of the old-to-new table above
> to demote new dev_t's to 16 bit dev_t's.

Again and again, WHY? dev_t's have been 32 bit opaque values for the
longest time -- we just didn't use the top bits. There is no reason to
do this sort of thing. The *only* thing we need COMPAT_ for is to
instruct the kernel to honor old device numbers for a while. It is
true that an old mknod binary will lose on a new machine. "So what?"

Perry