Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 3
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/1998 09:04:22
> On Sun, 11 Jan 98 19:45:12 -0800
>  "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com> wrote:
>
>  > Nobody's argued against it, so why not make there be One True Device
>  > Table (for _all_ ports)?
>
> Well, some ports (e.g. pmax) have boatloads of things in their devsw, so
> does the sun3 port ... Why would the e.g. pc532 port want to deal with
> that?  (or, the hp300 port, for that matter :-)

So, one of the things that should be done eventually is to convert the
table entries in the device switches to pointers to similar table
entries in the drivers.

Once that's done, there's not too much to deal with.  Before then,
there's a bit of hair, but if you ever want to get a merged device
tree, your only chance to do it is while renumbering.

_I_ don't want to keep having to add devices to N (where N is large,
and growing 8-) device switches and MAKEDEV scripts, do you?

chris