Subject: non-table for device table ?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/1998 12:51:03
In some mail I received from Jason Thorpe, sie wrote

> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:35:57 -0800
>  Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com> wrote:
>
>  > How is this better than just starting the MI major device numbers at
>  > zero and counting up, and starting the MD major device numbers at N
>  > and counting down (where N is the maximum major device number)?
>
> ...well, the table would be really big, for one :-)

Maybe it's time the kernel had a btree or hash table implementation in it
which could more easily support collections of data with a diverse range
of keys than the traditional table does ?

If a generic set of hash table functions are implemented, they could be
used for not just devices, but pcb's, and other things too.

Darren