Subject: 32 bit dev_t--the tty problem
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1998 20:50:03
I think I solved the 16/32 bit compatibility problem with ttys in Revision 3
that I just posted.

dev_t's will be considered unconverted in _all_ contexts when dealing with a
complete device number (including struct vattr, where fstat() gets its
Stuff).  Only in the old/compat stat interfaces will conversion be done
as far as a dev_t sees it (backwards), and that only because of the
constraint of 16 bits.

That way the 32 bit fstat() will retrun whatever is actually in the
filesystem, yay!

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price