Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 2
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1998 17:35:43
> On Sun, 11 Jan 98 17:03:20 -0800
>  "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com> wrote:
>
>  > If nobody wants to argue about which of the latter choices it should
>  > be, then I say let's go for "one table for the whle system," because
>  > that would reduce some maintenance hassles a bit.
>
> ...if we're going to do that, we'd only be going half-way if we didn't
> also make minor numbers for e.g. /dev/mem consistent everywhere.

Who really cares if /dev/mem has the same number on the i386 as it
does on the sparc?

It doesn't really matter.  If you're thinking of MAKEDEV script gunk,
well, "shell variables are a good thing."  8-)

I'm prefectly willing to have just one big table shared by all ports.
If nobody argues against that, I say we go with it.  It's a
maintenance win (which is something which does matter 8-).

chris