Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 2
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1998 17:31:53
> > Netbooting older NetBSD machines, that users do not yet wish to upgrade.  I
> > gave the alternative, too, of specifying nbitsmajor and nbitsminor at will.
>
> The term "deserves to lose" comes to mind.

nbitsmajor and nbitsminor, as well as "32-bit opaque" have a rightful
place in mknod.

As somebody who's wanted to create device nodes for a netbooting
system on a system which had a different partitioning of device node
bits, and/or which did special internal hacks on device nodes, I can
say that having those would be Very Nice.

chris