Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 2
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1998 17:30:18
until today i thought that netbsd kernel people were experienced internet
users.  i now realize that the expertise here runs toward kernel bitting
and away from e-mail headers.  that is to say, when you reply to a thread
on the mailing list, please edit the headers so that everybody who has ever
participated in the thread doesn't have to see two copies of your message.

back on topic, can someone 'splain to me why device special files are still
inside a UFS/FFS container with special "MAKEDEV" scripts?  if we can do
/proc it seems to me that /dev can be a special file system whose entries
are _made_ at successful probe time, using monotonically increasing dev_t's
with an opaque internal structure?  ted says this has been done in some
form.  if we're going to pull dev_t through a knothole backward and touch
the kernel in 125 places to do it, why not do the Right Thing and just stop
trying to figure out whether 12/20 is a good split or whether MI and MD need
different ranges and whether one or two tables are the right approach.  we
KNOW this isn't the right approach, why are we taking it anyway?