Subject: Re: Multi-valued locators
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG, augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/08/1998 15:29:12
Hi,

[ definition deleted for brevity, the example below should suffice to show
  my point ]

> The new definition, supporting 4 port ranges and 2 drqs.
>
> device	isa {[port[4] = {-1,-1,-1,-1}],
> 	     [size[4] = { 0,0,0,0 } ],
> 	     [iomem = -1], [iosiz = 0],
> 	     [irq = -1], [drq[2] = {-1,-1}] }
>

> Using this we can now have this SB line (covering the DSP
> and MIDI UART):
>
> sb0	at isa? port 0x220,0x300 irq 5 drq 1,5	# SoundBlaster

Hmm, I think that I don't like this proposal with fixed sizes for the arrays.
IMHO, the dimension of the arrays should be dynamic, i.e. any driver should
be able to define e.g. as many port ranges as it needs (without the need to
change the device definition).

No, I'm not currently able to sanely implement this (mostly due to lack of
time), sorry :-(.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--