Subject: Re: Passing credentials as ancillary data
To: Matt Thomas <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/07/1998 14:17:34
On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:36:13 -0500
 Matt Thomas <> wrote:

 > >If you want to get the string identity of the original user, use getpwuid()
 > >with the real user id passed in the sockcred.
 > Or you could pass a self describing structure.
 > uid/gid/euid/egid/grp-cnt/n-grps/loginname(0 term).

Ok, I give in :-)  I'm now passing the supplemental group list as a variable
length array, but I still shy away from passing the login name.  I can't
see why that's necessary, since that information is essentially available
from the real uid, and adding it would add some cruft to the interface.

Jason R. Thorpe
NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935