Subject: Re: uiomove and bus-ified drivers
To: None <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/1997 14:16:39
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 06:16:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
> [...]
> I wrote this driver primarily for the learning experience, so I'm
> quite interested to hear what Those Of You Who Know The Right Thing To
> Do think about this problem, and whether a real solution is possible.

It would be better not to ask the kernel to do format translation,
(i.e. bus_space stuff) especially in the mmap-ed device interface.
Instead, I'd suggest providing a small user-level library that has
device-specific knowledge, thereby allowing the kernel to present
the true raw device to that user-level library.