Subject: Re: HPC port?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/1997 19:22:32
>On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 01:43:30 -0500 (EST)
> Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us> wrote:

> > Has anyone (is anyone) investigating the feasibilty of a NetBSD port to
> > the Handheld Windows CE computers?
> > I would have thought they would be too small in terms of mass storage.
> > But, with a FLASH card, I don't see why it's not possible.

>That would be interesting... Don't most of the handhelds use Hitachi SH
>processors?
>Providing they have an MMU, it should certainly be possible.

I believe they do, in fact, have an MMU, since they do pre-emptive
multitasking and multithreading under WinCE, similar to the Win95
kernel.

I believe there are actually three different processors currently in
use, however.  The Hitachi seems to be the most popular.

On the other hand, I'm left wondering just what you could actually do
with such a device, with NetBSD?  I mean, a decent kernel runs 1MB
these days, and most of these machines only have 4MB of RAM.  Plus, if
storage is on a flash card, you're still talking like ~16MB for an
average sized "hard drive".

I think it would be kinda cool.  But more for novelty value than
anything else.  I guess you could make it a really tiny X
terminal... :-)

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.