Subject: Re: proposed: changes to "etc" (?)
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/14/1997 01:50:38

> Hmm, not sure about that.  I find a central configs tree (see
> http://www.quick.com.au/FreeWare/configs.html) handles 80+
> "lights out sustainable operation" machines quite nicely,
> despite the fact that they run different os's, releases and hardware.
> I try to avoid having anything to do with most of them - I
> personally manage only about 40 or so (ok might be more), but all
> run configs which I've setup "in the tree", so most can be re-built
> at short notice by a novice.

Well, perhaps we just need a unified adminstration "package" a set of
userland adminstration programs that incorporate things like RCS'ing
files in "etc", with velidity checking, and configuration distribution.

This would certianly go a long way toward solving my qualms about UNIX
adminstration in general. Yes, I know there are many a third party and
site specefic script (as evidenced above), but someone has to stand up and
make it "unified".

Perhaps a contributed "admin" (/usr/admin) distrib set/tree. For a clean
system like NetBSD that runs on so many platforms, an adminstration
managing suite would be very nice and easy to make comprehensive.

I'm sure tech-kern isn't the place for this discussion, but I'd like to
do this.

So where to start? Who to talk to? help!?

thanks.

--
	Paul Evans
	paule@martex.gen.oh.us _ pevans@cleindians.com