Subject: Re: proposed: changes to "etc" (?)
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/1997 12:00:37
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Brian Buhrow wrote:

> 	The idea that history is not associated with text configuration files
> is completely false.  Registries, on the other hand, seem to really have no
> concept of history and change logs unless the application which controls
> them has a notion of history.  We have a number of text files that many
> people edit around here.  We train them all to use RCS judiciously and find
> that we have a good history of who did what and when.  This is one area
> where text files as configuration files shine, in my opinion.

I agree thsat a site that uses RCS enjoys many benifits, but the fact is
most sites don't. Does this mean we should make them? probably not By the
same token I don't propose to completely change everything that is near
and dear to our hearts, but I think we can improve upon a configuration
mechinism that's already good.

Perhaps we simply need a unified configuration file format, and a way
to make RCS-style version control automagical. This would be a good
start. The new configuration files could be <exsisting_name>.cfg We could
then use the new files if present, and the olds ones if not.

I'm concerned about breaking away from the standard way of doing things,
I frankly wouldn't want to. I think we need a way that does both. (A
registry mounted on "etc", with the appearance of text files, but with
low level locking and version control)