Subject: Re: clearing suid/sgid bits upon ownership change
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Sainty <Dave.Sainty@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/1997 09:35:07
Rob Windsor said:

> Clears any suid or sgid bits if owner or group changes.  Even
> something insane like clearing the suid bit if you change the group
> ownership.

> I can't stand this behavior.  No other modern un*x in the world does
> this insane crap.

It's clearly bad practice to do your set[ug]id chmod's before your
chowns anyway.  The chown should come first, making the chown
behaviour invisible.

The current behaviour of chown plugs some potential holes and gives me
a warm, safe, fuzzy feeling when I use it.  Obviously this behaviour
won't change before 1.3, I hope a change isn't seriously entertained
afterwards either.

Cheers,

Dave.