Subject: Re: proposed: changes to "etc" (?)
To: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/1997 19:55:30
On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 22:59:45 -0500 (EST)  Paul Evans wrote:

> 	1. A user mode configuration library that uses a protected
> 		binary file. (a *gasp* registry)

A user mode configuration library that:

o reads and writes human readable files (with locking, of course)
o has hook for what versioning scheme to use (... which makes
  locking harder, of course ...)

I suspect these files should be gathered together somewhere; whether
they should be in /etc or in a directory hierarchy I don't know.  A
hierarchy makes it easier for programs that want to keep multiple
configuration files around, and somewhat eases file ownership issues.

Problems will arise when every program wants to call itself "httpd",
of course.

> 	2. A VFS based solution involving mounting the above to create
> 		the illusion of the files in "etc" (as ascii), but with
> 		an API for program use.

Erm ... too complicated for me.  Application installation shouldn't
need this level of kernel support.

Giles