Subject: Re: 3rd party device driver hooks
To: None <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/1997 09:02:18

>Matthew Jacob writes:
> >
> > Yeah, I'm interested in this too... do you really need a cdevsw for Myrinet?
>
>I think so... I need a character device to provide user-level access
>to the board.

Sock ioctls don't required a /dev entry, do they?

> Among other things, the board's MCP software is
>generally debugged via a debugger which mmaps the board's memory in
>user-space.

oh, well, I suppose there you go, although it might be nice
to have a /dev/pci and mmap that instead... but see below....

> > How about making it an lkm?
>
>I'd thought about that myself, but the platform I'm primarily
>interested in supporting is NetBSD/alpha, and I seem to remember
>reading that lkm's don't work there, something about a.out vs. elf
> -- please correct me if I'm wrong, as an LKM seems to be the way to
>go.

Oh, no- I was hoping you wouldn't have to do that. I ran into this
too and I got drochner's starts to elfify lkm and I haven't got
time to do this any time soon. Never mind.

Note thought that mmap of a device on an alpha is not a trivial
matter. As soon as CGD sees this or Jason reads his mail on the
way to IETF you'll probably get 1.25 of an earful about it.

>I realize this may not be an appropriate forum for this question, but
>I'd also like to support the i386 port as well and I'm having trouble
>getting NetBSD/i386 installed -- I cannot make it & FreeBSD share a 4G
>IDE drive because they keep clobbering each other's disklabels.  If
>any x86 gurus would like to help me out (or to tell me to give up and
>buy a second disk), please contact me.

There is no hatred so deep as close family members (siblings) who seem to
hate each other so much that you'd think they had slept with each other's
spouses.

-matt