Subject: Re: 3rd party device driver hooks
To: None <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/1997 09:20:54
Matthew Jacob writes:

 > Yeah, I'm interested in this too... do you really need a cdevsw for Myrinet?

I think so... I need a character device to provide user-level access
to the board.  Among other things, the board's MCP software is
generally debugged via a debugger which mmaps the board's memory in
user-space.

 > How about making it an lkm?

I'd thought about that myself, but the platform I'm primarily
interested in supporting is NetBSD/alpha, and I seem to remember
reading that lkm's don't work there, something about a.out vs. elf
 -- please correct me if I'm wrong, as an LKM seems to be the way to
go.

I realize this may not be an appropriate forum for this question, but
I'd also like to support the i386 port as well and I'm having trouble
getting NetBSD/i386 installed -- I cannot make it & FreeBSD share a 4G
IDE drive because they keep clobbering each other's disklabels.  If
any x86 gurus would like to help me out (or to tell me to give up and
buy a second disk), please contact me.

Thanks,

Drew