Subject: Re: more on dinode
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@terra.oscs.montana.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/03/1997 13:36:39
On Dec  3, 11:42am, Scott Reynolds wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I think this is one of the worst things on mac. ;-)  When an
> > average user (like me) transfers a file from mac to some real computer
> > (sorry :), he will soon discover that he can't read the gif/tiff/whatever
> > file on other systems because mac has corrupted the file by adding 128
> > bytes of garbage in front of it.
> Most Mac file transfers -- all that I'm aware of, actually -- copy only
> the data fork of the file out.  The resource fork is not a part of the
> file's data.  If you got an extra 128 bytes of garbage, either your
> software was buggy or you've run into some limitation of the file format
> (TIFF is notoriously non-standard, for example).

  I seem to recall that the Mac used a "Macbin" format for some transfers,
which puts a 128 byte header at the beginning of the data.  That header
contained information about the file;  it seems like that included the
file and application signature and other things.  I don't recall whether
that included any information about the resource fork though.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant