Subject: Meta Data, Extended Inodes and all
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/03/1997 13:51:11
According to "Erik E. Fair" (Timekeeper) <fair@clock.org> :
> the meta-data. Do it really right, and chmod(2) becomes chmod(3), a library
> interface to a more generalized file meta-data interface.

Fine, if we are to have a nice clean interface with backwards
compatability what sort of FORWARDS compatability are we aiming for ?

Will we see support for files or file systems with extened security
related features :

e.g. Multiple group assignement to a file (each with rwxs types flags
and rules to handle users who are in more than once group)

The ability to use a group for security CLASSIFICATIONS another for
project classification and another for project adminstration
classsification would be usefull we a file is shared by many staff
in a project each with diffrerent security levels etc.

What about such things as /etc/magic ? Would data type information
and associated MIME like information be stored in meta data ?

--Sean