Subject: Re: more on dinode
To: Time Keeper <fair@clock.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/03/1997 07:32:53
On Tue, Dec 02, 1997 at 08:15:09PM -0800, Time Keeper wrote:
> A thought to consider: Apple's Hierarchical File System (HFS) has a useful
> notion: the "resource" fork. The best description I ever heard of it was as
> "extensible meta-data."

Sorry, but I think this is one of the worst things on mac. ;-)  When an
average user (like me) transfers a file from mac to some real computer
(sorry :), he will soon discover that he can't read the gif/tiff/whatever
file on other systems because mac has corrupted the file by adding 128
bytes of garbage in front of it.  I think the Amiga's way was better -
keeping the Amiga specific information in a separate .info file so the
data file remained untouched.

Well, this is Yet Another Religious Issue.. but puh-lease don't force me
to use mac-like kludges on NetBSD :-(

  -jm