Subject: Re: dinode: di_spare[2]
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/1997 22:26:19
>>>>> "JS" == Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

[speaking about on-disk inode structures:]
JS> It's not just in-kernel; AFS uses some of these fields these show up
JS> on-disk as well, at least in AFS volumes on the server. (newer
JS> versions may do it differently).  jtk points out there was no AFS
JS> server-side release for NetBSD; i don't know if anyone ever built one
JS> `unofficially'.
JS> Maybe breaking AFS server compatibility is the right thing, but we
JS> should be aware we're doing that, and/or make it an option.

I know of no AFS file servers on NetBSD.  As far as Transarc AFS server
code is concerned, it doesn't really matter if you use all but one of
the spares for something else.  There aren't enough spare bits there
right now, so a server implementation would have to use an alternate
method involving another place to store most of the extra details (such
an implementation is used on AIX's JFS, so there's plenty of code to
borrow).  However, it will want one word in the dinode to flag an inode
as belonging to the AFS server.

JS> I also don't know if these bits are ever used on-disk for the client
JS> cache; I'm not sure, and jtk suggests not.

Correct, the client cache does not use any funny bits of on-disk
inodes.  All it needs is a way to name files and get to their contents.

--
==John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>, <john_kohl@alum.mit.edu>
Come hear me sing in the Arlington-Belmont Chorale, Dec 12 @ 8pm.