Subject: Re: duplicated code in machdep.c
To: None <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/17/1997 11:29:13
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:51:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>

> Regarding the debate over annexing MD code vs preserving TLB entries
> and map space:
>
>   Except for the buffers, these all have static sizes. Why not just
>   declare them as bss objects in MI code?  Won't everyone be happy then?

Maybe not, because that forces them to be in contiguous memory,
at least in the boot loader implementations I've seen.

In particular, I'm concerned about a machine like the Sun3/50 which
has a hole in memory at 1MB that the VM system can step around, and
if you increase the size of the kernel to more than (1M-16K) then it
can no longer work correctly on that machine (steps in the hole).