Subject: OT: cray (was: Why does mode_t need 32 bits?)
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/04/1997 11:02:11
well it is kernel related, but not Netbsd.   we all like to dream, don't
we.

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Paul B Dokas wrote:

> Subject: Re: Why does mode_t need 32 bits?  (fwd)
>
> > >  Anybody have a spare Cray lying about to use to do a port?
> >
> > Well, I heard that UNICOS development was stopping with release 10,
> > the current release... :-)
> >
> > Kevin
>
> That would be due to that fact that SGI bought them a while back.  I
> would guess that they'll try to make IRIX work on Cray hardware.
>
> As for hardware, I was talking with a friend who works over at Cray.
> He did mention that they've got a lot of hardware just sitting around
> taking up space.  Maybe someone with some space floor space needs to
> call them up and ask  8-)

At a recient job fair SGI was recuting students (well, after we grad) to
make one version of unix that would run on everything from the lowest end
sgi to the highest cray.  They also implied that it would run the same
binaries!  (if the new crays have MIPS processors expect binary
compatability across all sgi/cray systems)

This was before sgi announced they were laying off ~1000 people, so they
may have changed plans.

I for one with them luck in that endever.