Subject: Re: Why does mode_t need 32 bits?
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/29/1997 19:45:18
On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:31:04 -0500
 "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr@mc.com> wrote:

 > The message below was the only thing I saw mentioning the
 > changes for mode_t, nlinks_t, dev_t.  I can understand the
 > desire for a 32-bit dev_t (more minor devices) but why did
 > the other two change?  Also, what was the urgency that led
 > to this change being done right before a relase?

So we can actually build lint libraries.  The reason for doing it
Right Now, was we were changing the major number anyhow (msync(2))
and figured we might as well deal with this stuff at the same time.

Of course, we later discovered that changing the major was a lose,
and implemented the function renmaing hack :-)

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935