Subject: Re: What's up with config?
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: alanp <alanp@phcnet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/1997 10:45:25
> From: "Colin Wood" <cwood@ichips.intel.com>

> alanp wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all the helpful notes.  It looks like I got my kernel
> > sources from the wrong place for what I want to do and that is the
> > root of my problem.

I think I figured out what happened.  After I pulled down the 1.2.1
tar files, I went looking for a kernel source tar file in ksrc121, but
the only thing in there is the split-up-into-bit-sized-chunks version
of the source.  Then I stumbled onto sys.tar.gz in NetBSD-current and the
rest is history ...

> > Once I confirm that I can build kernels again, I would like to
> > transition my system to -current.  What is the best way to go about
> > this?
>
> Well, I don't know about the best way, but on the mac68k port, we have
> somewhat frequent binary snapshots of -current available, so I just
> install those (and a -current kernel) and run from there.  Once you have
> -current binaries, it's fairly simple to build a -current kernel ;-)

But how do you start this ball rolling?  Looking on ftp.netbsd.org under
NetBSD-current, I could find no binaries to install, just source files.
Those source files do not build under 1.2.1.  Can I just build the new
config, then build a kernel off -current source and go?  Are there -current
binaries that I have not yet discovered?

My projects are to finish my NTFS support in NetBSD that I started in
McKusick's BSD class that he taught at Berkeley last year (I hope he is
not reading this and noting that I STILL haven't finished it :-( and
taking a look at the PCMCIA code since I have some experience in that
area.  I should probably keep up-to-date on -current, right?

alan