Subject: What's up with config?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: alanp <alanp@phcnet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/1997 06:47:27
The short version:

How do I set-up building new kernels with config(8), when the configuration
file(s) contain a bunch of directives that config does not recognize?

The long version:

I have been running (and modifying) fairly old code on my system and one
day I decided to download -current source, but discovered that the stuff
in /sys/arch/MACHINE/conf had changed and was not compatible with the
version of config that I was using.

So, I did a clean install of 1.2.1 on my system and installed /usr/src/sys
and went to build GENERIC_SCSI3, just to make sure I could and got the
same kind of errors that I had discovered before.

All of the changes in the directives that I found were in the "files"
files, e.g., the new (as far as I am concerned) "defopt" and "file-system"
directives.

Am I using the wrong kernel source?  Am I using the wrong config(8)?

alan