Subject: Re: Castings...
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@juno.uts.amdahl.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/1997 04:15:13

> Are there any defined standards for this stuff? In java, they are
> defined, is there a 'C' equivalent? Java says if it's negative you get
> zero as the result; should this be the defined behaviour in 'C' too?

I went to a "buy my book(s)" talk given by Gosling about a year ago,
in which he said that the reason for the Java standards being so
much bigger than the similar C standards was the need to specify the
arithmetic behaviou?r in Java, which C lacked.

I remember thinking at the time that this explanation was fairly
lame, as was his answer to my question that the lack of Java pre and
post-conditions was due to time-constraints.

So I guess Chris is right - existing practice.

Take care,
Alistair