Subject: Re: TIOCMGET/TIOCMGET
To: None <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/1997 16:07:59
> In article <199709301204.OAA24277@cauchy.cs.uni-bonn.de>,
>         Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:
>> I can't tell if TIOCMGET/SET/BIS/BIC was in the way of correct handshaking
>> protocols, ...
>
> These I/O controls belong AFAIK to the basics of termios.

I don't know where you got that strange notion, but ioctl(2) is merely
one way of implementing termios; termios itself does not include the
concept of ioctl(2).  Nor does it have any way of setting or querying
the control lines of a serial connection, other than tcflow(3),
tcsendbreak(3), and changes implied by open(2) and tcsetattr(3).

Now, that's not to say that TIOCM{[GS]ET,BI[SC]} shouldn't be
implemented.  If nothing else, they're useful for debugging porpoises.