Subject: Re: broken ISA PnP card
To: None <mikel@shore.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/1997 07:14:31
> >> What the card driver realy needs to access are the ports
> >> at 0x560 - 0x582 and 0x160 - 0x200.
>
> What the heck is this thing, that it needs I/O ranges that large?
> If you still have the receipt, I suggest you return it and forget it
> ever existed; chances are it has more bugs.

It's an ISDN card with three major chips on it, two with 0x40 registers,
one with a bit more. They mapped each chip register to a unique IO port....

But I found out what's going on here in the meantime: they remapped one (the
only realy needed one) of the lower 0x20 register over an unused register in
the 0x20-0x40 range, so it's possible to write a driver which doesn't access
any of the lower 0x20 io-ports. While the (virtual) mapping is as I wrote in
my original message, all real accesses go to the range given by PnP.

I reworked some of the bus-independend part of the driver (isapnp is only one
attachment, isa and (hopefully soon) pcmcia are others) and now pass in an
additional bus_size_t offset to the bus_space mapping. I can use the
pre-mapped regions from the isapnp driver now...

Thank you,

Martin