Subject: Re: Sharing MII and I2C code in ethernet drivers
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@chassiron.ensta.fr>
From: enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1997 07:59:41
John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca> writes:

> We just went through this with the Hayes ESP.  I believe the final
> decision is that there should be only one line.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced yet :-).

bouyer@chassiron.ensta.fr (Manuel Bouyer) writes:

> I didn't follow this very closely, but I think this is not the same
> case: Hayes ESP is really a com device. There is not 2 different chips.

Probably it doesn't have that 2 chips, but I don't think it is just a
com device.  Hayes ESP acts as com (ns16x50) only when in compatible
mode.  The native mode is completely different from com.  What is
different between that they are implemented (1) by having two chips
mounted on the board and (2) by software on the board?

And even in compatible mode, it uses two io ports.  Thus I think there
should be a way to specify both in config file.

enami.